Horizontal alignment in road design comprises of intersecting straight lines (also known as horizontal tangents), points, and curves. Designing horizontal alignment requires knowledge in design speed, design radius, and spiral length.
Sometimes, users are required to add another intermediate Intersection Point (IP) under the horizontal alignment while designing roads. It’s easy to add an IP at the end of a road string, but adding the IP at the middle of the road string might be quite involved.
In order to add intermediate IP, you can take the following steps;
- Under the road module, go to ‘Project View‘ and select the road that you want to add an intermediate IP. (Please ensure that you have selected the correct road)
- Activate the ‘Horizontal‘ and ‘Line‘ icones to add the IP.
- Select the road string that you want to add IP.
- Right click on the selected road string.
- Click ‘Insert Point‘.
- To move the IP location along the line;
Horizontal > Point > Under Spread Input > Edit the Easting & Northing coordinates of IP
For Further Information #
A step-by-step video tutorial on how to add intermediate Horizontal Intersection Point (HIP) can be found here.