Platform index are located outside the survey point boundary and The platform index are located outside the convex hull of surveyor points are the errors you might encounter in the Earthworks analysis.
i. Platform Index are Located Outside The Survey Point Boundary
You may encounter this message error in MiTS 2 (please refer Section ii for MiTS 1) while generating the analysis in Earthworks.
The platform is outside of the survey points boundary
How to check:
- Check the survey points boundary
Click “Terrain tab on the right hand side > Click Yes on Show String Lines”
2. The meshing and the boundary of the survey points are displayed
3. Check on the related platform (it is stated in the error message) if any region of the platforms are outside of the survey points boundary
4. As an example, part of the platform shown below is outside of the boundary, which later will hinder the analysis
How to solve:
- Add more survey points to the region
Click “Survey Points Edit > Click on the new survey point location and add Z value”
2. Adjust the position/location of the platform as long as the platform is within the survey point boundary. You may use the Add/Remove Vertex and Move corner function if needed.
ii. The Platform Index are located outside the convex hull of surveyor points. (MiTS 1 message error)
Convex hull of surveyor point is determined by the surveyor point boundary. You get the message because some platforms are simply located outside the surveyor point boundary
There is an easy way to check whether platform is within or outside the surveyor point boundary. You can go to String/Contours/ set show string lines to yes.
If there are some your platforms is outside of the terrain mesh( string lines), then they are really out of boundary.
In order to solve this problem, you can:
- Change the meshing method to TIN in Parameter->Analysis->Meshing Method, because other meshing method will be more conservative in estimating the surveyor point boundary.
- If you are already on TIN and yet still have this error, add more surveyor points/move boundary surveyor points to enlarge convex hull of the surveyor points.
If the problem still occur, you may move the survey point (X and Y coordinates) so that all the platform will be located inside the convex hull.
Therefore, we assume the uppermost has the same elevation as the survey point that been circled as in Figure 2. With this assumption, the Y coordinate of the circle survey point is edit so that it move and the convex hull will cover all the platform
To do so, (as in Figure 3) you will need to go to Survey Points >> Spread input >> change the X or Y coordinates of the related survey point